Welcome to our Phonics Page
PHONICS AND EARLY READING OFFER
Our intention is that all children, regardless of their background and starting point, become fluent and confident readers. Our pupils learn to read and write effectively and quickly using the Read Write Inc. Phonics programme and progress onto Read Write Inc. Literacy and Language. Read Write Inc. Phonics closely matches the expectations of the national curriculum and the early learning goal, teaching children to read accurately and fluently. They learn to form each letter, spell correctly, and compose their ideas step-by-step.
We believe that building strong foundations is key to a good curriculum, and this is particularly important in reading. We are passionate about phonics and begin teaching phonics in the early years. This then gives the children a good chance of achieving the early learning goal by the end of reception, passing the phonics screening check in year 1 and becoming proficient and effortless and readers by the end of year 2. We firmly believe that this will allow the children to access learning in the wider curriculum, key stage 2 and beyond.
We believe that parental involvement is important to a child’s education, and therefore work hard to include our parents in their child’s reading journey. We hold workshops regularly to show how they can help their children read at home. We send home materials via Classdojo for parents to use in order to support their child with reading.
The Read Write Inc Phonics curriculum will teach children to:
- Apply the skill of blending phonemes to read words.
- Segment words in their constituent phonemes in order to spell words.
- Learn that blending and segmenting words are reversible processes
- Read high frequency words that do not conform to regular phonic patterns.
- Read texts and words that are within their phonic capabilities as early as possible.
- Spell effortlessly so that all their resources can be directed towards composing their writing.
Implementation of Phonics and Early Reading
Our aim is for children to become fluent readers by the end of Key Stage 1. Effective Phonics teaching and learning is essential for high attainment in reading and writing. Additionally, confidence with phonics is integral across the curriculum and used in all subjects. Achievement in this area benefits every area of pupil’s development and the school as a whole. In order to move Eastbury’s phonics teaching forwards it has been necessary to implement a clear and consistent inclusive teaching scheme.
To achieve our intention, we ensure that:
- Direct and focused phonics is taught every day in Reception and key stage 1
- Children’s progress in developing and applying their phonic knowledge is carefully assessed and monitored.
- Teachers and teaching assistants provide extra practice throughout the day for the children who make the slowest progress.
- Children take home storybooks which are closely matched to the children’s knowledge of phonics contain words that they can confidently decode.
- There are opportunities to reinforce and apply acquired phonic knowledge and skills across the curriculum and in such activities as shared and guided reading
Eastbury’s vision is that every pupil learns to read quickly and continues to read – widely and often. This is achieved through our effective teaching of systematic phonics.
As children lean to read, we ensure that the children take home books that are well-matched to our school’s phonics scheme. This gives the children the confidence they need to become fluent and confident readers. Our on-going assessments ensure that children who are falling behind are identified immediately and given additional one-to-one support ensuring all make progress. This is to ensure that the progress our pupils are making is age appropriate.
Direct of Learning for Phonics and Early Reading: Grace Abwooli
Additional Information below:
Oxford Reading Tree Online Library – https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/for-home/find-a-book/library-page
Phonics Play – https://www.phonicsplay.co.uk/
Phonics Bloom – https://www.phonicsbloom.com